Many wonder whether upgrading to the latest Sony system will make their PS4 and all its games obsolete. These concerns are mostly based on the issue of backward compatibility.
Backward compatibility allows for hardware or software systems to interact with previous versions of itself, granting gamers the ability to keep their previous purchases (and favorite games) even as they grow their library with titles designed for a new console.
Can you play PS4 games on PlayStation 5?
Sony has confirmed that PS4 games will be playable on the PS5, meaning that the PlayStation 5 is backwards compatible with the PS4. This means that you’ll be able to download games that you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store on PS4 and play them on the PS5.
You’ll also be able to insert physical PS4 discs into the PS5 and play them on the next-gen console though you won’t be able to use physical media on the PS5 Digital Edition because it doesn’t have a disc drive.
PS4 games that will work on PS5
Sony has said that the overwhelming majority of PS4 games will work on PS5 at launch. It’s since added that it expects 99% of PS4 games to be compatible with PS5. While the vast majority of PS4 games will work flawlessly on PS5, there are some exceptions.
Below is a list of all PS4 games that don’t work on PS5 as well as all PS4 games that may exhibit errors on PS5. You can rest assured that unless the game is listed below, then it’ll work without any problems.
Do you have to rebuy games for PS5?
You don’t have to! PS5 supports backward compatibility with the majority of PS4 games (over 4000 games). If you have the games on PS4, you can transfer them to a hard drive and play them on a PS5 as if you were on PS4. Nevertheless, there are new PS5 games that are really worth trying out!
Games that are dropping with the PS5
The best PS5 games currently range from family-friendly adventures to third-person brawlers with amazing graphics. We know PlayStation has always had an extensive library of games, with thousands of choices for players to choose from.
And if you want to get these at the best price possible, remember you just have to download Pricepulse for free on the App Store or Google Play, and you will receive notifications as soon as the prices of those PS5 games you are looking for hit their lowest point!
Sony has continued to include exclusive titles, like the following:
- Astro’s Playroom: it comes pre-loaded with the console, and it’s a great way to try the PS5’s new features
- Demon’s Souls: meet strange characters and unravel the unsettling story of this game.
- Destruction AllStars: it introduces itself as a new IP of multiplayer competitive racing.
- Gran Turismo 7: Aimed at car enthusiasts and those who enjoy racing games alike, the series focused on providing not only experiences akin to realism, but also to push the hardware of each console to its very limit.
- Returnal: this third-person shooter is set to haunt a human lost on a planet where death is final, and the landscape, as well as its horrors, are ever shifting.